Wednesday, April 4, 2012

How to refashion your skirt in to a High-Low hem skirt


Make a Hi-Low Skirt out of a circle skirt

(With pockets!)

                                

A circle skirt before and after, refashioned into a hi-low skirt
Before and After


I have this skits, nothing much is wrong with it but not much is right with it.  The main thing I love about it is that it fits!(I still have lots of baby extra baby weight)
Boring skirt I need to refashion.
  I wanted to make it into one of the new hi-low skirts.  I have never had one. so I was not sure how much I would like it.  I wanted the option to "de-refashion" it back to its original shape; (this term de-refashion was recently coined by over at cotton and curls used by )  When I red her article I thought I was the only one who did that!  

OK! Lets get started!  

Step 1
Acquire a skirt(circle skirt is what I used) to refashion.  Then lay it out flat as pictured below.




Step 2
Pinch a place in the middle, I just eyeballed it, you might want to measure. (you can also do this while wearing it or on a dress form)




Step3
Pull that pinched pice up toward teh waist band.



Step 4
PIN IT!




Step 5
Now you need to pin the rest of the front of the skirt up to the waist band. You will want to pull up a portion that works best for you.(Pin up till about your hips) 





ALL pinned up.... coming along quite well!(better than I expected). My skirt had a liner that showed I just hacked it off. Refashioning means just going with it ya know.


How to refashion a long skirt into a short in the front and long in the back skirt

Step 6
Sew the top! Remove the pins!
You have options here.  If you want the option to be able to remove the stitches later(like I did) then go with a simple stitch.  If you want this to be a premanet refashion  then you can get more fancy wiht top stitching and all that.

TA-DAAAAAAAAAA

Skirt refashioned shorter in the front, with pockets
                    This is actually another photo,  it just looks very similar,hum.  Remind me to talk to my photographer/ boyfriend about mixing things up.
DIY refashion skirt from circle skirt to Hi-low skirt


Look kids, it has pockets! Freaking POCKETS! What more can you ask for? An easy fast refashion with pockets, ahhh I am so happy.  I will be wearing this out tomorrow!


Well friends I hope this tutorial was easy for you to follow. I certainly hope you will try this one, because it is awesome!  I hope you will give it a try, adding your own special touch.  Please send me a photo of you upcycled skirts, it seriously makes my whole day. I typed this at 4:35 AM, so let me apologize for anything that may be confusing. If anything is unclear,  please send me a message and hopefully I can clearafie it for you.








4 comments:

  1. Hi Kasey! Thanks for visiting my blog. This skirt idea is great. I actually have a skirt that would be perfect for this transformation. You have great no-sew ideas on here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kasey, I promise I didn’t mean to leave you hanging this long. I sent you a long email yesterday but something was up and it said that the email I sent it to wasn’t right. So hopefully this comment sticks and you’ll get my reply. :)

    Getting mean comments just sucks. And I’m so sorry that someone left you one. It’s totally not cool. It’s awful to be minding your own business, blogging great tutorials, and then for an internet troll to come along and steal your joy, all with just one awful comment.

    I don’t know if it’s luck or God knows that I wouldn’t do well with too many negative comments, but I’ve only had a few in the past year and a half of blogging. I honestly laugh at the ones I get that are talking about my tutorials or projects or recipes. The only time I’ve been really upset was when someone left a comment on my post about my kids and said they were ugly. I deleted the mean comment, and then wrote a little post about it. I don’t care too much what people say about the projects or crafts I make, but no one is going to get away with calling my kids names. You know? So yeah, I got all mama bear on Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous.

    I would try to look at the mean comment and think about how the person that left it, has such a little pathetic life that they troll the internet looking for blogs to leave mean comments on. I don’t know why people choose to spew hate like that, other than they must be full of anger or sadness, and have nothing better to give someone else.

    The best thing you could do is delete the comment if it bothers you, talk about the comment with your husband or friends that will understand and lift you up, and also ignore it. Do not let that person’s comment define you or your skills as a blogger. Okay?

    I know it’s harder to ignore the comment than to dwell on it, but you will feel better if you can move past it as soon as possible.

    I’m really sorry you got your first mean comment, but you know what the rest of us long time bloggers say? You must be doing something right if you’re already on some trolls radar. I don’t think there is one blogger I know that hasn’t had a mean comment, so you’re in a good club. ;)

    I hope you feel better now, and that you have an awesome Easter Sunday

    Jennifer
    www.alwaysinwonder.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so clever and I never would have thought of it!!! Now I need to find a long circle skirt... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you still there? I'm looking for a method to convert a high-low tiered skirt to a straight-hem skirt without losing the tiers, with the final length in between the original two lenghths.

    ReplyDelete